Mental Health and COVID-19 pandemic

A week ago, I would have never anticipated all the events to unfold with the new coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19). Wuhan, China is still feeling the effects of being "locked down" and is slowly becoming active. Many countries in Europe are doing quarantine after Italy had a lot of new cases. Lastly, the United States is in a state of emergency. States have rapidly cancelled schools for at least two weeks, dining in restaurants have been stopped, nursing home have limited visitors, and grocery stories have reduced hours. These are going to change our lives, including our mental health.

I wanted to hit on this topic because I noticed that it was affecting me beyond the typical concerns (jobs, classes, thesis). Up to the initial announcement of closures, I became very panicked and it seemed random at first. My [new] adviser had a trip booked for Jamaica for spring break and I was very anxious about her going. I knew the quarantines were happening and I know she is older. I panicked about her not being around if everything transpired. She had calmly reminded me that our school had cancelled until 4/5 to allow for two weeks of self isolation if anyone traveled. I was also concerned because I can't see my father during this time and concerned about my parents and others. Thankfully - I do realize social media helps keep connected and know my dad will take proper precautions. Then Thursday, I began a lab quiz early to ensure I had time and half for the exam - when all the sudden the computer screens flashed a warning about a presumptuous case of COVID-19 and we had to evacuate. I was very freaked out and all I could think about was when 9/11 happened and it was on every channel.

Just a backstory - I have experienced different types of adverse events/traumas in my childhood. I am able to manage and do well. BUT... I want to emphasize, people do face "triggers" in times like these. For example, I was the one who woke up when someone tried to break into our trailer when my little sister was a baby and did have some residual issues - like not sleeping after. I don't remember much, but I do assume this is why I had selective mutism throughout childhood at times. I also remember having to be careful with illnesses because my sister was a premie and had underdeveloped lungs and my mom was not in the best of health. 9/11 happened when I was 8, I had visited Long Island a month and half before to see my father.  I did not understand maps and was very worried about family during that time... All of this transpired before I developed OCD. As I got older there were other instances where I had to protect my little sister (I won't go into details) which left me very hyper-vigilant about others.

I wanted to share my story because this will impact many individuals in many ways. One of the biggest concerns I have seen from reading online sources with isolation is the impact on mental health. There will be people like me who will experience it with a heightened reaction (PTSD or adjustment disorder) and many may become depressed or experience increased symptoms of depression, anxiety, bipolar, personality disorders, and so on. Here are some ideas of how you can help someone who may experience changes in their mental health during this period of isolation

> Be there for them. I know gatherings are limited but we can easily stay in touch with each - send them an email, text, call, IM, video chat, or check on them if close by.

> Make sure they have their resources during this time. If they are medication - make sure they have enough to get through the next two weeks. Encouraged them to check with their providers to see if they are able to still attend therapies - or if there is a way to teleconference. Maintaining normal therapeutic practices are important all the time, but especially during this time.

> Check on them and let them know you can help them out if they need.

For individuals

> Check with providers for medication and therapies. If you don't feel comfortable being out in public, ask if you can email your provider or teleconference.

> Try and stay connected with others. Our daily lives allow for us to be able to interact and stay busy, and this is a harder change. Isolation is not good for anyone's overall health either.

> Create a routine - many people have a hard time with no classes, work, or even working from home. You can make it as structured or flexible as you want. It will help set up time to focus on doing work and getting things done.

> Self-care - make sure to eat, rest, sleep, do your nails, exercise, etc.

> Hobbies - this is a good time to draw, play music, run, etc that you don't normally get to do.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One year older, five years wiser? End of 2019 Reflection

It has begun - 3 weeks in

Mid-Semester Update