The Science Behind the Pandemic
I never in a million years would have imagined living through a pandemic like this. A lot has transpired since my school evacuated on 3/12 and may be a while until we are done with a state mandated "stay at home" order.
I will be honest, this feels like a cross between a science fiction movie and a history documentary. I have researched some of the basics on the virus and it has been interesting. I have previously mentioned it is a real life "Invasive Species" in terms of the virulence of this virus and how quickly it spread. I have also learned what goes into managing a pandemic - which the last one of this nature was in 1918/1919. However, I have taken time learn about epidemiology & microbiology... Oh I guess, even politics, sociology, and the implications associated with health psychology.
Things I have learned
> Many people are asymptomatic (The microbiology and immunology nerd in me really wants to know how this happens)
> Symptoms are so much broader compared to other SARS viruses (and the original symptoms coming out of China's studies): People have lost their sense of taste & smell, GI symptoms, no cough, headaches, sinus congestion, or only a fever. One young baby even was diagnosed with COVID 19 had febrile seizures
> No one is invincible. I have seen the debate that millennial individuals are the ones going out and spreading it (a lot of people confuse the generation z & millenial mixed up) - I have seen statistics coming out of CT where all age groups have been infected, including an infant. The mortality rate is higher for individuals over 70 years old, but that does not change the morbidity (the impacts of an illness, such as loss of work, secondary infections, being put on ventilator) for the other age groups. I am always surprised to see from middle age individuals diagnosed most often via laboratory tests.
> We have social distancing mandates to help keep numbers low enough while getting more ICU beds, invasive ventilators, beds, places to quarantine those who become sick in nursing homes or healthcare places, and PPE. They have created models based on those numbers, the schools closing, nonessential businesses, and stay at home mandates. The states vary different based on when these were implemented and their own PPE, beds, and invasive ventilators,
> This pandemic reflects the short supply of beds, ppe, and other resources are in hospitals. Also, the accessibility of hospitals/healthcare places. The state of Connecticut (I will leave NY out of this for now) has more places to go get medical care and access to insurance while when I lived in North Carolina - hospitals and urgent cares were further out, especially in the rural areas & insurance is limited.
> Research!!! I have seen papers and studies coming to Google Scholar. They have recently decided to use antibody treatment for individuals with severe versions of COVID-19. I know they use IgG infusions to treat things like autoimmune encephalitis or strep infections that impact the brain to help the immune system. I am curious to know if interferon will be used - which is used to treat viral infections. I also know other antiviral drugs are being researched.
> Vaccine - other countries have been working on vaccines. NPR had a story with a person who received the first vaccine in a trial.
These are things that make me excited and passionate about research.
I will be honest, this feels like a cross between a science fiction movie and a history documentary. I have researched some of the basics on the virus and it has been interesting. I have previously mentioned it is a real life "Invasive Species" in terms of the virulence of this virus and how quickly it spread. I have also learned what goes into managing a pandemic - which the last one of this nature was in 1918/1919. However, I have taken time learn about epidemiology & microbiology... Oh I guess, even politics, sociology, and the implications associated with health psychology.
Things I have learned
> Many people are asymptomatic (The microbiology and immunology nerd in me really wants to know how this happens)
> Symptoms are so much broader compared to other SARS viruses (and the original symptoms coming out of China's studies): People have lost their sense of taste & smell, GI symptoms, no cough, headaches, sinus congestion, or only a fever. One young baby even was diagnosed with COVID 19 had febrile seizures
> No one is invincible. I have seen the debate that millennial individuals are the ones going out and spreading it (a lot of people confuse the generation z & millenial mixed up) - I have seen statistics coming out of CT where all age groups have been infected, including an infant. The mortality rate is higher for individuals over 70 years old, but that does not change the morbidity (the impacts of an illness, such as loss of work, secondary infections, being put on ventilator) for the other age groups. I am always surprised to see from middle age individuals diagnosed most often via laboratory tests.
> We have social distancing mandates to help keep numbers low enough while getting more ICU beds, invasive ventilators, beds, places to quarantine those who become sick in nursing homes or healthcare places, and PPE. They have created models based on those numbers, the schools closing, nonessential businesses, and stay at home mandates. The states vary different based on when these were implemented and their own PPE, beds, and invasive ventilators,
> This pandemic reflects the short supply of beds, ppe, and other resources are in hospitals. Also, the accessibility of hospitals/healthcare places. The state of Connecticut (I will leave NY out of this for now) has more places to go get medical care and access to insurance while when I lived in North Carolina - hospitals and urgent cares were further out, especially in the rural areas & insurance is limited.
> Research!!! I have seen papers and studies coming to Google Scholar. They have recently decided to use antibody treatment for individuals with severe versions of COVID-19. I know they use IgG infusions to treat things like autoimmune encephalitis or strep infections that impact the brain to help the immune system. I am curious to know if interferon will be used - which is used to treat viral infections. I also know other antiviral drugs are being researched.
> Vaccine - other countries have been working on vaccines. NPR had a story with a person who received the first vaccine in a trial.
These are things that make me excited and passionate about research.
Comments
Post a Comment